Tuesday 13 May 2014

Wet washing & veggie lasagne

I hung my washing out today.  LOADS of it - we've just had a leak in the bathroom and used a thousand towels to mop up.  Loads of colourful towels merrily swinging from the line and then the heavens opened.  Thunder, hail, lashings of rain.  My towels are still out, they are no longer swinging merrily, they are now hanging forlornly and soddenly.  My friend  in Italy said to me once that his washing often had one machine wash and a few "natural washes" before he managed to get it in dry, I'm adopting that theory!  It'll be sunny soon, right?  I'll have dry towels again at some point.  

On the plus side, I made a gorgeous, easy and cheap veggie lasagne - and everyone liked it!  I made the sauces from scratch too so there's some extra smug points.





Ingredients

Some lasagne sheets


For the "red sauce"


Vegetables (I used aubergines, onions and peppers but in the past I've used mushrooms, courgettes, or whatever I've found in my fridge)


Two tins of chopped tomatoes


Basil


For the "white sauce"


45g butter


45g flour


300ml milk


Loads of grated cheese



What to do
  • Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
  • Chop the veggies into whatever sized chunks you fancy and put them in a saucepan with the tinned tomatoes and basil, heat through, stirring occasionally. 
  • Melt the butter in another saucepan, stir the flour in bit by bit.  Add the milk and KEEP STIRRING!  When it looks like proper sauce thickness you can crumble in the cheese while stirring and when it's all blended then it's done.
  • In a large glass baking dish layer the red sauce, white sauce and lasagne sheets in whichever order you fancy, grate some more cheese over the top and then bung it in the oven for about half an hour or until it looks good!



No comments:

Post a Comment