Friday 22 May 2015

Beef stew - a down day recipe

It was hammering down with rain today and it seemed like it was one of those rainy autumn days again.  So, the slow cooker made another appearance.  Beef stew this time.
It was one of those "what have I got in the fridge/larder" dinners.  On this occasion I had beef, tinned tomatoes and mushrooms.  I also had half a tin of baked beans from Miss Chief's lunch of beans on toast so I thought I'd chuck them in too - it worked well!
This is the final result and it was devoured by Mr Chief, and also explored with interest by Master and Miss Chief.






Ingredients
Beef, cut into bite sized pieces
Mushrooms (I had huge ones so I just quartered them)
1 tin of tomatoes (I used chopped toms)
Baked beans (as said, it was what was left over)
Plain four
Paprika
Garlic (crushed or cut into small pieces)

What to do
Mix the flour in a bowl with some paprika (or any other herbs or spices you fancy using) and then mix the beef in until it seems coated.
Fry the beef in a frying pan for a few minutes to seal it and then bung it in the slow cooker.
Add the tin of tomatoes, the mushrooms, the beans and the garlic.  Cook on low for 6 - 8 hours (depending on your cooker).

I served it with mashed potatoes which worked well.  You could add any vegetables that you have, it'll work well but obviously taste different.


This dinner was made while I was at home, as I've recently been signed off sick due to what the doctor calls stress - I call it exhaustion but it's still being looked at.  Basically, I'm having a really hard time dealing with the constant rushing around that comes with two jobs and tow children - it's really tough at the moment.  I know there are people out there who are dealing with so much more and that makes me reluctant to face it but it would seem that I am suffering from some sort of burnout.  
I plan on writing about this honestly while sharing time saving, realistic recipes that I am serving to a very real family, I hope that it might help someone and who knows?  That someone might even be me.



No comments:

Post a Comment