Tuesday 15 September 2015

Homemade burgers

Master Chief has decided he wants to cook again - hurrah!

We decided to make some burgers.  We've done this before but I put so much chopped up veg in them that they just fell apart, oops.





Ingredients
500g mince (I used a fairly lean mince)
1 small onion, diced
1 egg
Oil (I used olive oil)

What to do
Dice the onions, you can cut them as small as you like or leave them chunky if you want a good bite of onion in your burger.
Mix the egg and onion together in a bowl and then add the mince and mix it all up.
Wet your hands slightly and grab a handful of the mince mix.  Roll it into a ball and then flatten it a bit to make it look more burger shaped.  When I had squashed it, my burger was about the size of my palm but you can make them any size you like, obviously the bigger they are the more likely they are to fall apart.
Put the shaped burgers on a plate, cover with cling film and leave in the fridge for half an hour to chill and firm up.






The recipe I looked at said to cook them on a barbeque - I obviously ignored this and fried them but I guess that means you could cook them any way you like.
I sprayed the burger itself with oil - mostly because I bought an oil sprayer when I was on holiday and now use it for everything.  Seriously, don't come round to the Chief house and stand still for too long!
I then cooked the burger in a frying pan on a fairly gentle heat.  I cooked it until I couldn't see any pink left, turning it occasionally.




Not brilliant pictures, sorry, but hopefully you get the gist.

You could go sophisticated and serve them with some creamed horseradish in a toasted brioche bun, however, I served these to two small children so obviously they were smothered in tomato ketchup.  

Homemade food - check.  Sophistication - ummm, yeah, I'll get back to you on that one!

You could also chuck some other veg in - I've done red pepper, mushroom, spring onion.  Just don't put too much in or you'll be serving up crumbled mince veg mix.  The veg obviously adds water so if you feel the mix is too wet then you could always add some flour to unmoisten (is that a word?!?) the whole thing up.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment